It's not hard to reason this one but you migh...
Malti Bhojwani is a certified life coach who offers her services at Multi Coaching International. In addition to teaching people how to get ahead at work, she's helped scores of corporates, educational institutes, and individuals better themselves using her unique coaching techniques. She's also on Guylife's expert panel; begin the process of self-improvement by asking her a question.
In the course of my life coaching career, one of the most common issues clients have is the desire to get ahead at work. Here are five methods that will guarantee success in the workplace.
1. Set Goals
Yes, set goals that will enhance your performance at work and the productivity of your team or the people you work with. Declare these goals to the people who you feel will support you. Take credit whenever it's due. Don’t feel shy to put your name on a project when you know that you contributed to it. If you don’t, someone else will!
Make a to-do list every Monday--of the tasks that need to be completed by marking them under categories like, 'Urgent', 'Important' and 'Want to do'. Keep your declared goal in mind while doing so. Often, working on your declared goal may fall under the 'Important' and 'Want to do' categories. Therefore, it's important that you do complete a few tasks from each list every day. The Urgent ones need to get done! If you can, delegate parts of it to someone, but make sure you get it back in time to review before you actually submit or apply it.
Work through the 'Urgent' ones first, and make sure you do your part. If it needs to be negotiated, thought upon and discussed, you have created the opportunity early in the week for this to occur. Work through the 'Important' and 'Want to do' lists only after you have attended to the 'Urgent' items.
2. Home Work
Commit about two hours at home to researching, reading and learning. Involve yourself in some kind of personal development.
This is to look through things that you don’t get time to do during the workday. This study should be about your industry, and national and international competition.
For personal development, you could look at going for a self-actualization workshop, hiring a personal coach or simply reading some good books. Commit at least 24 hours a year to your personal growth. I have listed a few self-actualization workshops below, but please do your own research to see what suits you best.
Abraham Maslow, Carl Rogers, Fritz Perls and others popularized Humanistic Psychology. This promotes looking at the brighter side of things, or being positive. This led to 'The Human Potential Movement'.
- EST (Erhard Seminars Training) focuses on how people experience themselves.
- Lifespring concentrated on how people experience each other.
- NLP accelerated therapy to identify and overcome self-limiting beliefs. This helps you understand how verbal and non-verbal communication affects the human brain.
- Landmark Education and AsiaWorks are both global phenomenons.
The AsiaWorks program is not yet available in India yet. However, you can participate in it in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia.
Or you may be attracted to a more spiritual method like 'Art of Living', 'Vipasana', or transcendental meditation techniques.
Whichever route you take, it will lead to intensive personal growth.
3. Automate, Eliminate and Delegate
In order to do this, you must have a strong understanding of yourself and your team. I have listed a few tests you can take.
If it's your own business, find ways to automate some of the processes. Speak to your web developer or even brainstorm with your employees. Look for things that you really don’t need, and eliminate them. To delegate is to trust that someone else has the ability to do a job well.
How to understand your role and your team members better:
- Study and take a few of Jung’s tests - These are based on the work of Carl Jung, David Kiersey, Isabel Myers and Katherine Briggs. They include the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) and the Kiersey Temperment Sorter. They measure four opposite factors, Introversion/Extroversion, Thinking/Feeling, Intuition/Sensing, and Judging/Perceiving.
- You can try DISC, which is a group of psychological inventories developed by John Geier and others. They measure dominance, influence, steadiness and compliance.
- Get 360 degree feedback, which is a developmental tool used to help employees recognize strengths and weaknesses, and become more effective.
- Do a SWOT (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats) analysis of your own strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats, or even those of your team, your project or your company.
- Learn how to use the 6 hats of creative thinking.This method was devised to manage creative brainstorming constructively. Originally developed by Dr Edward de Bono, the technique has become widely accepted as a powerful management tool with proven benefits in communication and decision-making.
4. Clean Up Your Inbox, Desktop and Desk
Do this every evening before you leave. This reduces your visual clutter and helps you focus on the tasks in your to-do list. Buy an in-and-out tray, and make sure there are no loose pieces of paper or documents lying around. Do the same with your desktop. Sort through your emails and put them in folders. Getting organized will help you become more productive.
5. Keep Distractions to a Minimum and Meetings Short and Straightforward
Yes, we all need a little bit of fun during the day. We like planning the weekend, joking and relaxing. However, you must create a structure for this, so that it does not seep into your workday. Open a new email account for your friends to send you jokes and try to keep work emails linited to strictly work. In meetings, take responsibility to keep time, and leave when you have to go. KISS-–Keep It Short and Simple, and you'll find yourself getting ahead in no time!
Ask Malti a question and check out the other experts Guylife has on board to answer your queries.
-Picture courtesy Thinkstock-
you might also like
With Skyfall, director Sam Mendes mixes the old an...
If Bollywood ever went down the 007 agent route, w...